With styles available for almost any personality, modern couples have unlimited options when it comes to the wedding stationery. From luxurious letterpress cards to fun and quirky designs, the invitations give the couples the opportunity to demonstrate their style while giving guests a glimpse of the expected event.
The wedding invitation cards have come a long way since the formal affairs of the past, but one thing has remained unchanged: the etiquette. A lot of the rules are still relevant today as they were the years before, from the addressing of the envelopes to which information should be included or left out. The tips below will help to create a perfectly polite invitation.
The formal phrasing of the invitations is still very popular among many couples. A formally phrased invitation will work for any style of wedding. The use of the formal language will signal to your guests that they can expect a truly elegant event.
If you and your partner are more casual, and you are hosting a rustic, artistic or whimsical wedding, it’s completely acceptable to simplify the language.
As a rule, the main invitation should include only the key details of the upcoming event. However, the guests will appreciate if you include additional information in your invitation kit. A few details you may consider:
- Attire. Should guests wear black-tie, garden party attire or will the wedding be thematic? Don’t leave your guests guessing – tell them what will be better to wear to your wedding!
- Directions. Whether you are getting married in your native town or you are leaving to a destination, the guests will appreciate the clear directions to the venue.
- Accommodations. If you have reserved a block of rooms at a local hotel, give your guests enough time to reserve in advance.
- Activities. Will there be dancing? A rollicking after-party? Or a casual rehearsal dinner? Inform your guests so that they can plan appropriately.
If you want to ensure that your guests have plenty of time to release their schedules in order to attend your Big Day, it is important to send your invitations beforehand. Below are the general timelines:
- Save the Dates should be sent from six to eight months in advance
- Invitations should be sent from six to eight weeks in advance
- Invitations for Destinations Weddings should be sent at least three months in advance
In addition, it will be better to request RSVPs within three weeks of the event so you can get a precise head count.